3rd Line IT Support
IT support professionals play a key role in keeping the organization’s business running smoothly by supporting and collaborating with the clients and the customers. Usually, mid-sized and large companies place their support in three different lines known as 1st line, 2nd line, and 3rd line IT Support professionals. The clients normally contact and communicate with the 1st Line IT Support professional. If the 1st Line IT support professionals cannot resolve the client’s issues, they pass it to the 2nd Line IT Support Officer. If the 2nd Line IT Support professionals are also unable to solve the issue, the 3rd Line IT Support professionals take charge and provide assistance and help to the clients.
1st Line IT Support Professionals are trained to receive the problem from the clients and put their best effort to resolve their issue. The 2nd Line IT Support Professionals are a bit highly trained compared to the 1st Line IT Support and deal with the issues that the 1st Line IT Support professionals cannot solve. The 3rd line IT Support Professionals are the last line of support professionals who are highly trained and ready to deal with the issues that cannot be resolved by the 2nd Line IT Support Professional.
IT companies are segmenting their support line in these 3 stages to provide prompt and seamless service to new and existing clients. At each IT Support level, the IT professionals are trained with different levels of skills and experience.
Job Responsibilities of 3rd Line IT Support
Like the 1st and 2nd Line, IT Support professionals, 3rd Line Support Professionals of an IT company are also required to have strong knowledge and skills compared to 1st and 2nd Line IT Support Professionals. The 3rd Line IT Support Professionals of the company also have some fixed and blended job responsibilities, which are mentioned below:
- Always ready in the standby mode to receive unsolved issues from 1st and 2nd Line IT support professional
- Have a clear concept about the type of the problem that comes in a frequent manner
- Be responsible to solve any unsolved issues in a prompt manner
- Have a clear insight about the type of the problem and required knowledge to solve the issue
- 3rd Line Support Professionals must be aware of the fact that the reputation of the company and the confidence of the clients depend on their performance
- 3rd Line It Support Professionals have no extra room to forward any unsolved issue as they are the last resort for the solution
- 3rd Line Support Professionals must have a clear consent and idea regarding the details of the products and services, provided by the company
- As like as 1st and 3rd Line IT Support Professional, the 3rd Line IT Support Professionals must also know about the latest and updated trend and technology, used by their company
- 3rd Line IT Support Professionals must know almost every detail of each product and services of the company so that they can resolve the issue as soon as possible
- 3rd Line IT Support Professional must have the capacity to work in alignment with the IT Manager along with 1st and 2nd line IT Support Professional.
- 3rd Line IT Support Professionals must have the mindset that they have to deal with unusual issues which were not solvable by 1st Line and 2nd Line IT Support Professional
- In most the cases, 3rd Line IT Support Professionals are required to put extra effort beyond their defined job hours
- It may require for the 3rd Line IT Support Professional to communicate with the 1st Line and 2nd Line IT Support to get more details regarding the problem of an issue
- 3rd Line IT Support Professionals must also be proficient in both verbal and written communication with the clients
- 3rd Line IT Support Professionals must also know about the ways of dealing with almost every kind of problem that may arise from the client-side
Followings are some key prerequisites for 3rd Line IT Support professionals
- 3rd Line IT Support professionals must have adequate knowledge of computer and computing technology
- 3rd Line IT Support Professionals are required to pass the high school degree, hence it is ideal if they can earn higher certification to make them more qualified for this job
- 3rd Line IT Support Professionals must have some basic to advanced level of experience of working with the latest paradigm of computer technology like virtualization and cloud computing
- 3rd Line IT Support Professionals must have adequate knowledge and skills on both computer hardware and Network
- 3rd Line IT Support must have a clear idea about the product and/or service of the business
- 3rd Line IT Support Professionals are required to know about how to keep a log of all the resolved problems.
- 3rd Line IT professionals must be proficient in both written and verbal communication
- 3rd Line IT Support Professionals of an IT company are required to catch the type of the problem.
- 3rd Line IT Professionals must have profound knowledge on computer hardware, software, and networking
Job Opportunities for 3rd Line IT Support professionals are widely available as the IT companies around the are growing in terms of size and operation. IT companies are now getting more dependent on 1st, 2st and 3rd Line IT Support Professionals as they are considered the first point of contact between the clients and the company. That is why the response from the support line professionals plays a key role in building the reputation of the company and the confidence among the clients. Moreover, a strong line-up for IT Support Engineers will also help the business process run smoothly without disruption. Most IT Companies are now providing regular sessions on professional development for their IT Support Professionals to optimize and enhance their business processes.
The salary of the IT Support Professional varies depending on the type and the size of the organization. Usually, 3rd Line IT Support Professionals are getting paid more than the 2nd Line IT Support professionals. On average, the IT Support Professionals are getting paid between £37,500 to £57,500. The average annual salary of an IT Support Professionals is around £47,500.